Wednesday 29 June 2011

Never see a need without doing something about it

Never see a need without doing something about it... St Mary of the cross Mackillop.

Aren't they powerful words! With my first hat embedded into my head, I cannot go passed this quote without saying "amen"!

Not even as a Christian but as a human being we have a responsibility within us to care for one another!

My second hat :: Corinne the social worker.

I have a bachelor of social work at post graduate level. And until then I never went to Uni.... So how does that happen?
How does one enter a post graduate degree without having an undergraduate?

Well... For my entire working life since I started casual work in my last year of highschool, I have worked in some form of human services... From recreation programs for children with disabilities, respite with adults with disabilities, summer camp program in USA for special needs and disadvantaged/disengaged youth, to completing a diploma health science massage therapy and running a massage business for two years as a mobile service to ppl with disabilities... To being employed with my church as the youth minister... It granted me access to Uni!

For some reason, it has always been part of me to be of service for others, and I relate to the opening quote so much.

Being a social worker I just love engaging with ppl and empowering them to get to a place of hope and contentment. Now I know that place of hope and contentment is found in Jesus, but I have an ethical dilemma here. We know we cannot impose religion on anyone, yet I'm working with vulnerable people... So what is my answer?

Simple: St Francis of Assisi puts it beautifully "preach the gospel at all times, and when necessary use words".

Love Corinne

No comments:

Post a Comment